[ Detailed History ] First DeHaven ] World War II ] Korea ] Desron 9 History ] Operation Hardtack - 1 ] DeHaven Unit Awards ] Vietnam Era ]

History of USS DeHaven (DD-727)

Destined to participate in no less than five "star" operations during World War II and to receive the second Navy Unit Commendation awarded during the Korean Conflict, the USS DE HAVEN plunged into the waters of the Kennebec River for the first time on 9 January 1944. Her keel had been laid just six weeks before at the Bath Iron Works, on 23 November 1943.

The DD-727 was the second destroyer to bear the name of the famed mariner and Arctic explorer, Lieutenant Edwin Jesse DeHaven, USN. Lieutenant DeHaven was born in Pennsylvania on 7 May 1816. Appointed Midshipman on 2 October 1829, he was commissioned Lieutenant on 8 September 1841. His early service was in the West Indies, on board the NATCHEZ and ERIE, and in South American waters aboard the LEXINGTON, NATCHEZ and ERIE. This was followed by duty in the Receiving Ships at New York and Baltimore. In June 1837 he was ordered to the Sloop-of-War FALMOUTH in the Pacific, being transferred in the summer of 1839 to the USS VINCENNES, flagship of the U.S. Exploring Expedition under Charles Wilkes. In this vessel he made the famous cruise to the Antarctic and among the Pacific Islands. He was transferred to the USS PEACOCK in October 1840, and continued with the expedition, surveying in the Pacific and on the North American coast in the vicinity of Puget Sound. On 18 July 1841 the PEACOCK was wrecked in the mouth of the Columbia River, and Lieutenant DeHaven finished the cruise of the expedition in the OREGON. During 1843 he served aboard the USS TRUXTUN and in January 1845 was transferred to the USS SOMERS. The SOMERS was active in the Gulf of Mexico during the early part of the trouble with Mexico, and took part in the first expedition against Alvarado. On 3 May 1850 Lieutenant DeHaven was placed in command of the Grinnell Rescue Expedition to search for Sir John Franklin, and to make scientific explorations. The two ships of the Expedition, the brigs ADVANCE and RESCUE, were caught in the ice west of Greenland in September and drifted for nine months. The Expedition failed to find Franklin, but discovered and named Grinnell Land, and did other specific work. Lieutenant DeHaven retired on 6 February 1862, and died 1 May 1865.

In February 1943 the first DeHaven (DD-469) died fighting near Guadalcanal under the blows of Japanese dive bombers. Her fighting days had lasted but a few months.

At the launching of the present DE HAVEN on 09 January 1944, she was christened by Miss Helen N. DeHaven, granddaughter of the ship's namesake, who had also christened the first DE HAVEN. On 31 March 1944 the DD-727 was commissioned and placed under the command of Commander J. B. Dimmick, USN. She was the best the Bath Iron Works could produce — 2200 tons of fighting steel, the most deadly super-destroyer in the world. A month of fitting-out in the Navy Yard, a month of strenuous shaking down in Bermuda, another month of alterations in Boston, and she was ready.

On 5 July 1944 the DE HAVEN reported to the training command at Norfolk where she acted as instruction ship for new destroyer crews for a week and conducted high speed fueling exercises at sea. On 9 July Captain Jesse H. Carter, USN, Commander Destroyer Squadron 61, shifted his pennant to the DE HAVEN, and she joined the USS RANGER for the first of many flat-top escort assignments. The Panama Canal, San Diego, and Pearl Harbor were highlights enroute to the "forward area". On 16 August she escorted the carriers ENTERPRISE, INTREPID, and INDEPENDENCE to the battle zone and the great anchorage at Eniwetok Atoll. With only a glimpse of the gigantic fleet anchored there, she returned immediately to Pearl Harbor to continue exercises and await the formation of her squadron.

On 28 September the DE HAVEN sailed for Eniwetok with the four other ships of her squadron, the MANSFIELD, LYMAN K. SWENSON, TAUSSIG, and BRUSH. A few days at Eniwetok, then a convoy job took the small group within 100 miles of the still powerful Jap stronghold at Truk, and on to the most advanced operating base — the newly acquired Ulithi Atoll.

While in the Ulithi word came of an impending great battle around the Philippines, with the entire Japanese Fleet on the move. On the second day of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, Destroyer Squadron 61 reported to the Commander THIRD Fleet for duty, and was ordered to get underway to join the carrier force in the fighting. However, by the time she arrived in the battle area the enemy had already been smashed, and the squadron was ordered to conduct an extensive search for downed aviators.

Back in Ulithi the DE HAVEN was assigned to operate with the fast carrier Task Force 38 as its planes hit the island bastions on the road to Tokyo. She sortied with the force on 2 November, and for the rest of the month screened their movements as they prowled just off the Philippines, attacking shipping and airfields on Luzon and Leyte in support of the initial invasion. Following another short upkeep in Ulithi, the DE HAVEN left port with another carrier group on 10 December and headed for Luzon. On the 14th she rescued a downed pilot from the HANCOCK. Strikes were made on 14-16 December and the force then retired to fuel. During these fueling operations on the 18th a tropical typhoon hit the THIRD Fleet in full force. The center passed 35 miles from the DE HAVEN, but three of her sister destroyers, the MONAGHAN, SPENCE and the HULL, capsized under the force of 120-knot winds and mountainous seas. When the typhoon had subsided, the Task Force re-formed and a search for survivors was made enroute to another strike against Luzon. The strike was cancelled due to heavy weather and the task force returned to Ulithi, arriving the day before Christmas.

Another operation was underway before the beginning of 1945—this time a landing on the west coast of Luzon, and the fast carrier task force was again deployed to knock out enemy air opposition and shipping. In quick succession carrier planes hit Formosa, Luzon, and then Formosa again. At high speed the mighty force steamed into the South China Sea through the Bashi Channel just north of Luzon — the first U. S. surface vessel to enter those waters since the beginning of the war. Continuing deep into enemy territory, the THIRD Fleet swept southwest toward French Indochina with an eye on Camranh Bay where large units of the Japanese fleet were reported to be recuperating from the Battle of Leyte Gulf. No enemy units were found, but the carrier force swept on down the French Indo-china coast through a monsoon, striking Camranh Bay, Saigon, Hong Kong, and Hainan. On the 20th the force steamed northward out to the China Sea leaving behind 41 enemy ships sunk and 31 damaged, 112 enemy planes destroyed; and dock, oil storage and air field facilities heavily damaged.

With the China Sea assaults behind them, attention was turned to Southern Formosa, and as dawn broke on 22 January 1945 air strikes were on their way to attack targets on islands of the Okinawa chain. With the successful landings on Luzon completed and the Army firmly established, the THIRD Fleet returned to Ulithi on 26 January.

On 10 February the THIRD Fleet became the FIFTH Fleet when Admiral Spruance relieved Admiral Halsey, and on that day the DE HAVEN sailed as screen for Task Group 58.1 on another operation. On the 12th, while acting as a plane guard during drill attacks by aircraft on a towed target, a TBF plane from the BENNINGTON was struck by a rocket fired from a VF aircraft behind it. The DE HAVEN left her station to recover the pilot, but was unable to locate the two enlisted air crewmen. On 16 February the carrier planes made the first of a series of strikes against Tokyo and the Japanese homeland that were to continue until the end of the war. On the 19th the force dropped south to support ground forces in the landing and occupation of Iwo Jima. Tokyo was again struck on the 25th, but the planned strike on the Nagoya area for the 26th was cancelled due to bad weather.

On 1 March the VINCENNES, MIAMI, SAN DIEGO, and Destroyer Squadron 61 were detached from Task Group 58.1 to form Task Group 58.22 for the bombardment of Okino Daito Shima, a small island southeast of Okinawa. On the clear moonlit night of 2 March the DE HAVEN effectively carried out the bombardment of her objective — the high-explosive storage and the dual-purpose batteries on the southwest side of the island. She then rejoined Task Group 58.1 and took position in the 12 ship screen for the return to Ulithi.

The DE HAVEN was again at sea on 14 March, this time to support the occupation of Okinawa Gunto. Hitting Kyushu in full strength, the force encountered the first stiff resistance from Japanese suicide aircraft. Night and day on the 18th, 19th, and 20th the enemy launched continuous air attacks on the Task Force, inflicting heavy damage on some units. On the 18th the DE HAVEN was at General Quarters seven times. At 0740 she took an enemy "Hamp" under fire and was credited with an assist in splashing it. Air strikes were launched on Kyushu and adjacent islands on that and the successive day. At 0708 on the 19th a Japanese "Zeke" scored a bomb hit on the WASP. It was taken under fire by the DE HAVEN and splashed on the third salvo. At 0833 another enemy plane was taken under radar fire by several ships, including the DE HAVEN, and brought down astern.

On 21 March Captain T. H. Hederman, USN, relieved Captain J. H. Carter, USN, as Commander Destroyer Squadron 61, aboard the DE HAVEN. Between 23 and 28 March the Task Group launched daily strikes against the Okinawa Kerama Retto area. On the latter date orders were received to proceed northwestward to strike units of the Japanese fleet reported off the east coast of Kyushu. No enemy ships could be located, and the force retired for a rendezvous with the fueling group.

The force next took station about ninety miles east of Okinawa continuing to furnish air support for ground forces on Okinawa, and to deliver diversionary air strikes at nearby islands. AT 1315 on 6 April the DE HAVEN fired on an enemy "Zeke", scoring hits with both her 40 mm and 5" fire, and splashing it off the port side of the VINCENNES. AT 1317 she opened fire on a "Hamp" which was diving on the SAN JACINTO. Raken by 40 mm fire from the DE HAVEN, he crashed just ahead of his intended victim. On 21 April the destroyers of the task force bombarded Minami Deito Jima, and by the 27th the control of the situation was such that the group to which the DE HAVEN was assigned was permitted to return to Ulithi.

On 9 May the FIFTH Fleet sailed for more strikes against the Japanese homeland. Kyushu was struck on the 13th. The next day the DE HAVEN fired on two bogies, and assisted in splashing an "Emily". The force then retired to Okinawa, giving immediate support to the ground forces. On 28 May Task Force 58 again became Task Force 38, under the command of Admiral Halsey. The fleet was struck by a second typhoon on 5 June off Okinawa. The DE HAVEN passed through the eye of the storm without damage, but the HORNET suffered a badly damaged flight deck and the PITTSBURGH lost her bow. After another air strike and another bombardment on Minami Daito Jima, the DE HAVEN dropped anchor in Leyte Gulf. There on 17 June Commander W. H. Groverman, USN, relieved Commander J. B. Dimmick, USN.

She was underway again on 1 July in company with Task Group 38.1. This was the beginning of an operation that was to end the war and to set a ship's record of 63 continuous days underway. For two months the carrier force roamed at will off the southern and eastern coasts of Japan from Kyushu to Hokkaido. Throughout the period the DE HAVEN operated some 50 miles in advance of the Task Force as radar picket ship, intercepting what few enemy planes there were in the area, and visually checking and directing our own planes returning from strikes.

On the night of 22 July the DE HAVEN, at the head of Squadron 61, conducted an anti-shipping sweep into Sagami Nada, lower Tokyo Bay. There, 300 miles from Task Force 38, the nearest friendly force, the Squadron surprised a small convoy close to shore, attempting to leave the bay. Maneuvering for the attack, the DE HAVEN fired two torpedoes at one of the smaller targets. The torpedoes ran hot and true, but the target reversed course, and the warheads missed. The ships opened fire on the other targets at 2355, ceasing fire at 0009. A medium-sized and small freighter were sunk, and another medium cargoman and its escort were damaged. The ships' attacks were answered by anti-aircraft fire, which was mistakenly directed skyward, and a few salvos rumbled out from shore batteries, but no destroyer was hit.

The DE HAVEN was on radar picket station on 15 August 1945 when the Japanese accepted the unconditional surrender, and continued to operate with the carriers, patrolling just off Honshu. On 1 September she embarked Rear Admiral John Shafroth for transportation to Tokyo Bay, and the next day anchored 1500 yards off the bow of the MISSOURI during the signing of the surrender. Upon joining Task Group 38.1 she proceeded to Yokosuka Ko, the Mare Island of Japan to prepare for an early return to the United States. On 20 September 1945 she sailed with her sister ships of Destroyer Squadron 61 with homeward bound pennants proudly streaming the length of the ships.

The USS DE HAVEN had good reason to be proud. During her period of service, she had steamed 150,000 miles in 18 months, participated in three shore bombardments, shot down three Japanese planes and assisted with the destruction of three others, demolished 12 Japanese mines, assisted in the sinking of two Japanese ships, and rescued 11 Navy and Marine Corps pilots forced or shot down at sea. All this she performed without loss of a man.


When the Communists invaded South Korea on 25 June 1950, the DE HAVEN was moored at Sasebo, Japan attached to destroyer Squadron NINE. Commander 0. B. Lundgren, USN, was in command. At 0540 the next day she sailed with the MANSFIELD to escort the Norwegian REINHOLT evacuating U.S. dependents from Inchon to Fukueka. On the 27th the DE HAVEN received orders to join the USS JUNEAU for patrol of the eastern coast. While enroute to the rendezvous on the 29th she sighted a burning minesweeper with a South Korean freighter alongside. The minesweeper had been fired on by a North Korean ship, which has escaped northward. After determining that the sweeper could not be salvaged, the DE HAVEN joined the JUNEAU.

That night the two-ship Task Group 96.5 went into combat, bombarding the South Korean coastal town of Samchok where the Communists had made an amphibious landing in motor barges. On June 30th the HMS JAMAICA and USS COLLETT reported for duty, and on 1 July the DE HAVEN was detached to return to Sasebo for fuel.

On 1 July President Truman ordered a naval blockade of the entire Korean coast, and after escorting the TAKASAGO MARU to Pusan the DE HAVEN relieved the LYMAN K. SWENSON on east coast patrol. Until 7 July she operated with the VALLEY FORGE and ROCHESTER, preventing any sea traffic between North and South Korea, and acting as lifeguard for strikes against Pyongyang and Haeju.

After a refueling run to Sasebo, the DE HAVEN returned to Pusan acting as communications link ship for the USS ARIKARA and Deputy Commander Naval Forces, Far East, Korea. On 13 July she rendezvoused with the JUNEAU to bombard the main coastal highways south of Tousin and Ulchin. The city of Pyong Hae was subjected to shore bombardment during July 15 - 18, after which the DE HAVEN returned to Sasebo.

By the 22nd she was back in Pusan. A hundred miles north of that city the Reds had driven the South Koreans out of Yongdok in their rush down the east coast. Just below Yongdok the mountains come close to the sea, and sometimes thrust themselves into deep water. The road becomes a cliff hanging strand of transportation, never more than five miles from the sea. It was a situation made to order for naval gunners. During the next eight days enemy motor convoys and troops travelling the coastal roads were brought under devastating fire and suffered heavy losses.

The DE HAVEN returned to Sasebo on the 27th, but in August was again back on east coast patrol. On the 19th she joined the TOLEDO and MANSFIELD in the patrol area off Pohang. While proceeding along the shore line at 1700 on the 20th, she was taken under fire from the beach, being bracketed with splashes on the port beam. The DE HAVEN plastered the enemy battery with her 5" guns, silencing it after 50 rounds. She continued her coastal sweeps of the Korean coast until early September, providing call-fire support of ground forces. On 7 September, while patrolling singly off Pohang, she destroyed one medium size vessel and damaged three boats loading at small piers. That evening she returned to Sasebo.

The United Nations ground troops had by now been pushed back into a narrow perimeter around Pusan, and in order to divide the enemy, it had been decided to launch a risky amphibious assault on Inchon, just below the 38th Parallel on Korea's West Coast.

Commanding the sea approaches to Inchon, the harbor, and the beaches, was the heavily-fortified island of Wolmi-do. No ship could enter the port's tidal basin, the inner harbor, or transit Flying Fish channel without coming under fire of the island's guns. Six destroyers and four cruisers were assigned the task of neutralizing this formidable obstacle.

In the dawn of 12 September the gunfire support group sortied from Sasebo, and at 0700 the next day commenced passage up Flying Fish Channel. Since there was not enough information on the island's defenses, the destroyers, DE HAVEN, GURKE, MANSFIELD, LYMAN K. SWENSON, COLLETT and HENDERSON were sent in to anchor off Wolmi and conduct a one-hour bombardment. It was hoped that the camouflaged guns would open fire and, spotting their locations, the destroyers would then return the fire and call in help from the cruisers TOLEDO, ROCHESTER, KENYA, and JAMAICA, stationed 14,000 to 20,000 yards off the island.

While steaming up the channel in single-file column at 1145, the MANSFIELD's lookouts spotted a minefield. The GURKE destroyed one, and the HENDERSON was detached to finish the job. The bombardment was to begin at 1300, and shortly after 1253 the destroyers were anchored in position, with guns on target. At five minutes before 1300 from the DE HAVEN's director, Lieutenant Arthur T. White, was unable to look down the barrels of the Red battery any longer. He depressed the firing key, and the Wolmi bombardment began. The Wolmi battery disintegrated into dust and debris. AT 1306 the enemy began to reply, concentrating their fire on the GURKE, LYMAN K. SWENSON and COLLETT. At 1317 the DE HAVEN took a .50 caliber hit, but with negligible damage. At 1400 the destroyers moved out under cover of the cruiser fire. The performance was repeated at the same time the following day. The DE HAVEN received several .50 caliber hits but without serious damage, and when the destroyers left, every gun on Wolmi-do was silent.

The Inchon invasion was successfully accomplished on 15 September 1950. The DE HAVEN rendered gunfire support during the landings and until the 23rd, when she returned to Sasebo.

In company with the H. J. THOMAS, the DE HAVEN returned to the east-coast blockade of Korea on 25 September. The next day she sighted a Republic of Korea unit ambushed by a North Korean force, and broke up the party with shore fire. At 1805 that day she received word that the BRUSH had hit a mine, and proceeded to her assistance at high speed. She escorted the damaged ship back to Sasebo, arriving on the 30th, then returned to her patrol station with the WORCESTER, HELENA, and MANSFIELD.

On the nights of 6 and 7 October the DE HAVEN gave her fire support to two British Commando raids on two railway tunnels and one railway bridge. When one tunnel exploded the enemy opened fire skyward, but the DE HAVEN soon destroyed the enemy guns. She continued her routine patrolling on the east coast until her return to Sasebo on 24 October 1950 and onward routing to Yokosuka and Pearl Harbor.

On 1 April 1951 Commander Farrell B. McFarland, USN, relieved as commanding officer:

Between 12 July 1951 and 1 February 1952 the DE HAVEN was once again in the Western Pacific area. Most of this time was spent on routine, but vital, blockade patrol. Commander Theodore C. Siegmund took command on 17 June 1952. In October 1952 the ship was back in the Korean area, and from 30 October to 18 November served as flagship for Task Element 95.22, operating in the Chongjin-Songjin-Chaho area. Most of her time was spent on patrol blockade, in defense of Yangdo Island. The DE HAVEN was released from Task Force 77 on 3 February 1953, and proceeded in company with Destroyer Division 91, less the COLLETT, to the east coast of Korea for duty with Task Force 95. Reporting to Wonsan on the 4th, she was assigned various patrolling stations in that harbor to prevent enemy small boat traffic and the re-mining of the harbor, and also provided illumination when needed and fired on bridges and highways within range.

From 12-18 February the DE HAVEN supported the KITE, SWALLOW, and REDHEAD in minesweeping operations. During this time she received several near misses from shore batteries. On the 16th the ship was relieved and returned to Sasebo. In October of 1953, Commander Seigmund was relieved as commanding officer by Commander Thomas W. Hunt, USN.


On May 14, 1965 the use of naval gunfire in support of friendly forces in South Vietnam had been authorized. Implementation of Sea Dragon operations at a later date also proved the value of such support. DE HAVEN conducted a vigorous and unremitting campaign against logistic craft in Vietnamese waters and also against land targets from 1966 through 1968. During this period of time DE HAVEN served as a naval gunfire support unit in I, II, III, IV corps and Rung Sat special areas firing over 22,000 rounds in support of these operations and other noteworthy campaigns including direct combat engagement with North Vietnamese artillery units on multiple occasions. DE HAVEN's assignments included search and rescue, radar picket duty, electronic counter measures, Snoopy Drone operations, shore bombardment and attack carrier operations from both the "Yankee and Dixie Station" staging areas.

DE HAVEN participated in the rescue of four downed pilots off the coast of North Vietnam. On September 13, 1967 DE HAVEN steaming as Task unit 77.1.2 along with USS DAMATO DD-871 the DE HAVEN received a call from a forward air controller who had spotted seven large logistic craft in the Dong Hoi area moored in the Song Giang river. Both ships came to firing position with DE HAVEN expending 46 rounds of 5" 38 high explosive projectiles. The enemy opened with heavy counter battery fire with approximately 200 rounds. DE HAVEN and DAMATO immediately turned seaward at flank speed while directing additional fire at the enemy gun sites. Enemy rounds had tightly bracketed both ships with numerous rounds landing very close with several air explosions. DE HAVEN remained unscathed but DAMATO had taken two direct hits with one located on the port side and the other on her ASROC deck. Both ships returned with a high speed retaliatory run on the gun sites with DE HAVEN expending another 90 rounds of 5" 38 high explosive projectiles. Upon completion of the mission commander destroyer division 222 was transferred to DE HAVEN and DAMATO was detached from task unit 77.1.2 and proceeded to Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines for emergency battle repairs. DE HAVEN withdrew to rearm, refuel and prepare for her next battle of which there would be many more. DE HAVEN's exceptional meritorious performance while serving as an element of Destroyer Squadron Nine was recognized by the Secretary of the Navy with the award of the Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon.


During her World War II career the USS DE HAVEN earned five Battle Stars on the Asiatic-Pacific Area Service Medal for participating in the following operations:

1 Star/Leyte Operation
Luzon attacks — 5-6, 13-14, 19-22 November and 14-16 December 1944

1 Star/Luzon Operation
Luzon attacks — 6-7 January 1945
Formosa attacks — 3-4, 9, 15, 21 January 1945
China Coast attacks — 12 and 16 January 1945
Nansei Shoto attacks — 22 January 1945

1 Star/Iwo Jima Operation
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima — 15 February - 4 March 1945
FIFTH Fleet raids against Honshu and the Nansei Shoto —15-16, 25 February, 1 March 1945

1 Star/Okinawa Gunto Operation
FIFTH and THIRD Fleet raids in support of Okinawa Gunto operations — 17 March - 11 June 1945

1 Star/THIRD Fleet Operations against Japan — 10 July - 15 August 1945

She also received the Navy Occupation Service Medal for the period 1-24 September 1945

During the Korean Conflict the USS DE HAVEN earned the Korean Service Medal for the periods 27 June - 1 November 1950 and 12 July 1951- 1 February 1952 with six Battle Stars for participating in the following operations:

1 Star/North Korean Aggression — 27 June - 12 September 1950, and 18 September - 23 October 1950

1 Star/Inchon Landing — 13-17 September 1950

1 Star/U.S. Summer-Fall Offensive — 18 July - 2 November 1951 and 3-27 November 1951

1 Star/U.S. Summer-Fall Offensive — 28 November 1951 - 25 January 1952

1 Star/Korean Defense, Summer-Fall 1952 — 21 October - 30 November 1952

1 Star/Third Korean Winter — 26 January 1953 - 20 March 1953

The ship was included in the Navy Unit Commendation awarded Task Element 90.62, MANSFIELD, DE HAVEN, HENDERSON, GURKE, LYMAN K. SWENSON, and COLLETT, with the following Citation:

"For outstanding heroism in action against enemy aggressor forces in Korea from 13 to 15 September 1950. Skillfully navigating the extremely difficult and hazardous approaches to enemy-held Inchon in advance of the initial assault against that fortress, Task Element 90.62 coolly entered the strongly fortified harbor and anchored within close range of hostile gun positions. Defying the deadly barrage of heavy enemy shore-battery fire delivered from a myriad of hidden gun emplacements scattered along the coastline, the gallant destroyers of this Element courageously proceeded to launch an accurate and crushing fire attack in the first of a series of well planned and brilliantly executed bombardments which culminated in the reduction of the port's defenses and in successful landing of friendly forces at Inchon on 15 September 1950. Although sustaining several casualties and numerous hits from the roaring enemy shore batteries, these ships repeatedly refused to leave their assigned stations and boldly continued to return the heavy counter-fire of hostile guns until their scheduled time of withdrawal. Fully aware that with each successive entry into the treacherous channel the peril of meeting increased resistance was greatly intensified, they braved the hazards of a hostile mine field, passed dangerously close to the enemy's shore fortifications and unleashed a furious bombardment which eventually neutralized the port defenses sufficiently to permit the successful amphibious landings. An aggressive and intrepid fighting unit, the daring officers and men of Task Element 90.62 achieved a splendid combat record which attests the teamwork, courage and skill of the entire Destroyer Element and enhances the finest traditions of the United States Naval Service."

As of January 1954 the USS DE HAVEN is still active with the U.S. Pacific Fleet.



BEAM 41 feet

SPEED 34 knots


COMPLEMENT 16 officers & 325 men

Compiled: 14 July 1954



Copyright © 1997-2023

USS DeHaven Sailors Association
2606 Jefferson Avenue, Joplin MO 64804

Contact Us